So I debated whether or not I should post this recipe due to it not being FULLY vegan BUT. This is real life! I am vegan, but my fiancé isn’t. After refusing to cook meat since going vegan, I had my fiancée cook his own meat.
I guess he grew tired of doing that. And, much to my shock he stopped eating meat. I am still in shock/denial. Okay, so he stopped eating meat.. big deal you say right? BUT, when I say I never thought in a million years this man would stop eating meat is because if I cooked and there wasn’t meat on his plate.. it wasn’t considered a meal for him. He was a runner so he could eat a lot of food. This man would eat 3 beef burgers and fries in one sitting!
After, he stopped eating meat I had another dilemma he doesn’t like vegetables. I found myself chopping everything and mushing everything so that he doesn’t really taste too much of anything and he would taste the meal as a whole if that makes sense. One of his favorite meals is lasagna, so I had to think of a way to make it tasteful for him to not miss the old version. And that is how I came up with my vegan lasagna recipe.
-2 C of spinach
- 4 celery sticks
-½ C of Veggie both
- Vegan butter
-2 C of cashews soaked for at least 2 hours.
-½ C of water
-1 Tbs nutritional yeast
-2 cloves of garlic
- black pepper
- Sprinkle of salt
-lasagna noodles (vegan/ gluten free)
- Pasta sauce 16oz.
1) Soak the 2 cups of cashew in water for 2 hrs. Place them in blender with all ingredients and blend well. Do not use the water that it was soaking in.
2) Cut the eggplant in ½ inch rounds. Lay them on a plate and salt each one. I do this because it helps with the bitterness of the eggplant. Let them sit for 10-15 min (you will see them sweat) then flip and do the same on the other side.
3) Cut up the eggplant into small cubes and sauté them in a nonstick pan with veggie broth. Keep on medium heat for 30 min. Then mush with a fork or a masher.
4) Cut up celery sticks as small as possible, and leeks, chop up spinach. Sauté celery in butter for about 7 mins. Then, add leeks sauté for 5 min. Add spinach and veggie broth simmer for 5 mins.
5) Take a 17X10 pan line it up with pasta sauce. Just enough to cover the pan. Place your lasagna noodles individually. Then add some of the green mixture, eggplant mixture, and ricotta mixture.
6) Spread together, add some sauce
7) Add cheese accordingly.
8) Follow the above steps for each layer, the last layer should be cheese.
9) Cover with aluminum and back at 375 for 40-45 min.
10) Uncover and cook for an additional 5 min, then serve
So when it comes to veganism don’t judge someone JUST because they still have some cheese, or a cookie. Becoming vegan is a process. I like to think of it like a relationship; you pick your battles. So when making this vegan lasagna I had to really compromise to the fact that he will not eat vegan cheese. YES, my fiancé doesn’t eat meat but, he still won’t give up his mozzarella cheese. AND THAT IS COMPLETELY FINE. So here’s our vegan-ish eggplant lasagna. My side has vegan cheese mix and his side has mozzarella cheese.